Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

Fudge

So this is the fudge recipe that has been handed down from my grandmother through my dad.  We affectionately call it "Daddy Fudge."  There are variations - I have made some chocolate with almonds, a peanut butter and a Nutella version, but this is the classic.  

In a large pot combine using a wooden spoon.

3 cups sugar
pinch of salt
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey's because that is what Dad used)

You know how some people are very proud of their seasoned cast iron skillet? 



You can only get this kind of chocolate-y coloration after years of fudge making.  No, I do not play around when it comes to chocolate.  And yes, this is spoon is only used for fudge.  

Put pot on medium high heat and add 1 1/2 cups milk (2% or whole) slowly until combined.  The recipe says to stir constantly until it boils but I never do because I am always trying to do four other things while making this stuff so occasional stirring also works.  

After it starts boiling, leave spoon in and let sit.  Do not stir!!!  



Set timer for 10 minutes.  During this time, you can get out your:

1/2 stick of butter
1 tsp vanilla
Platter
2 tbsp butter

Clear glass cup or measuring cup filled about 1/2 up with cold water.

Butter the platter with 2 tbsp of butter.  If you are clumsy like me and have recently burned your fingers, using your hands to butter the platter will serve a double purpose.  

After 10 mins, gently pick up spoon from boiling fudge and let a little bit fall into the cup of cold water.  Stick your hand in and try to form a slightly squished up ball with the fudge.  If it falls apart or does not even come close to coming together then continue cooking.  At this point I would check it every 2 mins or so using a clean cup of cold water each time.  Once it comes together in a soft ball, take fudge off heat and put near the buttered platter.  

Add 1/2 stick of butter and 1 tsp vanilla.  The vanilla should bubble up when you add it - that is my favorite part.  Tilt the pot to one side and beat the fudge until your arm is tired.  Actually when you see the fudge starting to set up around the edges, it is probably good - at this point it should be a little thick.

Pour onto buttered platter and let set for a few minutes.  It is perfectly ok if some fudge does not make it out of the pot.  This will be your quality control sample.



Cut into squares with buttered knife.



I have been making this stuff for years and have had a few failures along the way.  My dad and his sister have told me that sometimes the weather can factor into fudge making.  I don't really buy this and think it is just an excuse to not do anything on rainy days, but we will see.  Actually I think I have made this while living in Seattle and never had a problem so there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment