Lots to catch up on, but first a simple, yummy recipe for my friend who gave me the "Get off your ass and blog!" nudge today. Mexican Lasagna. This actually came from the best next-door neighbor ever.
1 jar spaghetti sauce (although if you like it saucy, and you know who you are, use 1 1/2 jars)
1 lb ground beef (or you could use ground turkey or ground chicken)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
4 1/2 tsp chili powder
6 (8 1/2 inch) flour tortillas or the no-need to cook lasagna noodles in a box
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans (optional, or you totally could just use different beans and leave out the meat for a veggie version. On that note, if you are a huge veggie fan, you could add a can of diced tomatoes or any other veg that strikes your fancy.)
1 can of refried beans (if you use these, then I would recommend adding them as an additional layer between the noodles and sauce mixture.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside 1 cup of pasta sauce. Brown meat, then drain. Stir in remaining pasta sauce, corn, chili powder and beans.
Spread 1/2 cup of pasta sauce in the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Put down the tortilla shells or pasta noodles, but not too harsh. Heh. Layer half the sauce/meat/veg mixture then 1/3 of the cheese. More noodles, then the rest of the sauce/meat/veg mixture, another layer of cheese, another of noodles, the remaining 1/2 cup of sauce (or more if you have it). Bake for 30 minutes then top with remaining cheese and bake another 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
Enjoy!
Ok, since I last posted I have read this:

So I was warned that this was not a feel good book. In fact those who recommended it to me said that pretty much everyone in the book is miserable but it was good so I should read it anyway. SPOILER! Stop reading RIGHT NOW if you do not want to know stuff that happens even though I am not going into too much detail. This book broke both of my rules on books - so something bad happens to a kid and a dog. I begrudgingly admit that both were sort of central to the characters, but c'mon. The best part of this book was the unexpected motivation it gave me to get off my butt and do some stuff. Almost all of the characters in the book were whiny little babies about their situation but no one ever did anything about it. Hate your job? Start looking for another one! Even if it takes a while, at least you can say you are doing something about it! So instead of sitting around bitching and moaning about stuff I want to change, I have made small changes here and there and feel pretty good about it. There is only so much one can do with a toddler and a baby, so small changes are good.
and this:

Ok, I love Meg Cabot. Her adult fiction and young adult fiction. But this one? I am wondering if she had some sort of you-have-to-write-a-vampire-novel clause in her contract. The main character was just meh. And she was a crap dog owner. A couple of the supporting characters were good but overall not her best work. I will keep reading her as long as she does not do a sequel to this one.
and am currently re-reading this:
This is by far one of the funniest books I have ever read. Some may be all "oh no! That is sacrilegious!" and to them I say "Have you read it?" To which most would reply "No." Then I would say "Well, my Momz was raised Baptist and is still very much the Christian and she read it and enjoyed it, so there!" And I would probably stick my tongue out Nellie Olson style. The only bad part about this book, and it is not even bad at all, is that it makes me want to put down the other books I have in line to be read and read his other books. And put aside everything I need to do and become a famous author so I can make lots of people laugh, but I will wait since I have Bill Bryson's "At Home" and am doing my one classic novel a month with "Jane Eyre." So I probably should be off to do that. Maybe something funny will happen to Jane? At least it will in my head.
No comments:
Post a Comment