Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blog Fail

So my blog is all "Oh, it's you again is it? Think you can just waltz on in and pick up where we left off, eh? Whatever." If my blog could roll its eyes, it would.

I've read lots and lots since February. The entire Bryant and May series to date by Christopher Fowler. A couple of elderly English detectives solving random crimes. Peculiar crimes if you will. Here is a link to the website: http://www.peculiarcrimesunit.com/ I will note that the first book was a bit hard for me to read because it flips back and forth from 1941 to the present. But maybe that is because I was, and still am, severely sleep-deprived. But since I am all learned and stuff, I figured it out.

I have also read several of the "Pretty Little Liars" books because I need something completely and totally unrelated to my real life as possible and something a little different than murder mysteries. Wait. Murder mysteries WITHOUT teenage angst and references to designer shoes, handbags and makeup. So here's the link to that: http://www.prettylittleliars.com/ And yes, I love the show.

Another good one is "It's All Relative" by Wade Rouse. I have read two of his other books and really enjoyed them. Laugh out loud funny! Although they can get a bit teary. http://www.waderouse.com/content/index.asp

"Shadow Pass" by Sam Eastland is the second in the Inspector Pekkala series. The stories are set in Russia during and after the Russian Revolution. I enjoy the mystery but also the flashbacks to Pekkala's time with Nicholas and Alexandra. http://www.inspectorpekkala.com/

For a very, very, very funny mystery I recommend "Heads You Lose" by Lisa Lutz. She wrote this book with an ex-boyfriend and inspired me to write a relay book with a friend. http://lisalutz.com/ You should also read all of her other books. Anyone who will drop Dr. Who into their story is someone I will support.

On Jen Lancaster's recommendation I read "Skipping a Beat" by Sarah Pekkanen. Thru the first 20 or so pages I did not think I was going to like this book. I thought it was too "girlie" for me. Too much like a Lifetime movie. And maybe it was. But just like those movies, I got sucked in and did not stop reading until I finished it while crying like a three-year old whose Betsy Wetsy just got its head torn off by the bully with a bad haircut. However, unlike a Lifetime movie, I felt I could recommend this without any shame whatsoever. http://www.sarahpekkanen.com/the-books/skipping-a-beat After finishing this at 2am, I needed something that I knew would only make me cry because I was laughing so hard and needed a Poise pad. (Funny side note: while in CVS the other day, my two year old picked up a package of Poise pads, holds them out to me and says "Mommy need diapers?" Not yet, son. Not yet.) The book I chose needs its own special post. Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment