Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A day at the spa. . . and some books

Well, not really. But I did use my Groupon for an eyebrow threading. For those of you who have not heard of this (and this was me before I saw the Groupon) they take some thin string and somehow doing a middle-school-Cat's-Cradle-string-trick rip the hair off your face. Yes, it hurts. Some areas LOTS more than others. She pointed out some other areas that needed some clean-up and, like I have said to some, made it seem like my face was the love child of Robin Williams and Sasquatch. When all was said and done, and the redness went away, my face is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Well, almost as smooth. As smooth as a baby's bottom without a diaper rash. And yes, I am currently well versed in the smoothness of the bottom area. Can't wait to be done with that one. Anyway, it is an interesting thing to try and I do look a bit like I had a facial today.

As it has been a while since I have posted, it has also been a long while since I shared my reading experiences. I was on a young adult kick for a while as my brain was really tired and here is what I liked:

Withering Tights by Louise Rennison. I will read a phone book if Louise writes one. She is hilarious and I want to drink pints with her one day. For those familiar with her Georgia Nicholson books, Georgia's cousin Tallulah goes off to spend the summer at a performing arts college. There is the usual teen boy craziness, concerns about ones appearance and level of talent but mostly boys.


Gimme a Call - Sarah Mylnowski. A senior in high school drops her phone in a water fountain and after fishing it out the only person she can call is her freshman self. Lots of changing of the past/future and predictable but funny.

Ten Things We Did - Sarah Mylnowski. Yes, I really like this author. A junior high girl's family decides to move to the mid-west in the middle of the school year and instead of joining them, she convinces her dad to let her stay with a friend. However, she decides to not share with her dad that the friend's mom is on an extended out of town work thing. Almost every high school kid's dream.

First Grave on the Right - Darynda Jones. This is what would happen if Stephanie Plum met The Ghost Whisperer and got a bit raunchy. Well, not raunchy between them but if the two characters, ah, forget it. There is a Ranger type character in here but the dude has a supernatural quality to him. No vampires in this one. I'm sort of over vampires. The main character can see and talk to the departed and needs to convince them to cross over.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs. I read mixed reviews about this one but trusted my gut. I quite enjoyed this book. Some reviewers said there was not enough action and something about writing a first book to build up to a little something at the end so there will be a sequel, blah, blah, blah. While there may not have a been a ton of action, I really liked the writing, the main character, the mystery of it all and a nice twist towards the end. Some of the photos freaked me out but as has been said before, I am a chicken. C.S.I. previews can cause me to have trouble falling asleep. Here is the author's website: http://www.ransomriggs.com/

There are more, but I will do those later.

1 comment: