So earlier today I was thinking about how sometimes when I am running downstairs and pulling my hair back into a bun/ponytail combo while trying to answer the phone, verbally break up a fight between the boy and the girl and not trip over toys or dogs, I end up with a fabulous up-do without trying or a mirror. But when I need to look all put together (usually just about once a month, well, twice this month what with a family wedding/rehearsal dinner combo) and try to make a fabulous up-do I end up looking like a crazy person who has just removed her finger from an electrical outlet and then got all Tippi Hedron-ed by mockingbirds because they are meanest birds ever. So I tried to find a hairstyle on-line that would reflect this but could not. However I did find this:
Really? That has go to be a piece, right? Even so, she has a pig hair on her head. And if it is her real hair, can you imagine what it took to comb that bitch out? So if you want to see some disturbing hairstyles, Google "crazy hairstyles" and look at the images. Seriously. Do it. I'll wait. . . . . . . Well, maybe not, I have to finish an overdue library book. Some of the images are, for me, stomach churning. Also, if my kids end up coming home with ANY of these on their heads and it is not Halloween, I shall have them wait on the porch and re-greet them with clippers and a picture of a bald Britney Spears as a future deterrent.
So this is the overdue library book that I am reading but I am confident in its hilarity to go ahead and post it before I finish. I have laughed out loud many, many times while reading these essays. Laurie has written several books and I look forward to reading all of them. I did read "The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club" a very long time ago and sadly do not remember any of it so I will have to read it again. (Actually, now that I think about it I believe it was "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing.") If you do not have time to read the whole book, and I know many people do not, buy it / borrow it and read the chapter "You must be my lucky star." You will not be sorry. I really think that even though I have already read it (almost) I am putting it on my Christmas wish list so that I can read this chapter whenever I need to immediately laugh.
So up next is to finish "Not tonight, Honey: Wait 'Til I'm a Size Six" by Susan Reinhardt then to finish "The Winter Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly so that I can read "The Wild Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly.
Also, I made homemade Granola Triangles tonight. I know, I know they sell granola bars at the store. A lot of them. In many flavors. However, I felt the need to make something yummy that the kids would eat and that I would not be tempted to eat even though I froze the left-overs. Yes, I am talking to you yummy delicious oatmeal-chocolate-chip cookies. Also, I have been eating the Fiber One granola bars and the boy always wants me to share and the last thing he needs is more fiber so I decided to make some he can have. So here is the recipe:
Granola Triangles (picture to be posted tomorrow)
2 1/2 cups Rice Krispies (or similar cereal)
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup raisins
Mix together in a large-ish bowl and set aside.
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
Bring sugar and syrup to a boil over medium high heat while stirring constantly-ish. I took some breaks. After it is nice and boiled, removed from heat and stir in:
1/2 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter and
1 tsp vanilla
Pour this mixture over cereal/oat/raisin mixture and stir until everything is nice and coated with yummy peanut butter goodness. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Then stir in:
1/2 cup chocolate chips. I used milk chocolate but I am sure any kind will work well and I plan to use dark chocolate next time.
Grease or Pam spray a 13x9 pan and pour granola mixture into it. Then grease or spray your hands and smush it all down. Then cut into 12 squares and then cut those squares into triangles. They can be stored in an air-tight container for up to a week, if they last that long. Next time I think I will use honey instead of syrup, maybe throw in some almonds, dried fruit, whatever looks good. Oh, and I just saw Nutella in my tags and am so going to make Nutella granola bars next time! Oh! Oh! With toasted coconut and almonds. Mmmmm.....
No comments:
Post a Comment