Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Yeah we're gonna let it, slide

So I finally washed my hair today.  It is not a gross as it sounds although it was probably not that far off.  There are certain things that some people let slide when kids come into the picture.  If you work outside the home then chances are you shower and wash your hair daily or close to it.  When you stay at home with the kids, do your own errand running, house cleaning and grass cutting (sometimes but probably not enough for your homeowners association) your appearance can sometimes lean toward a mix of lazy college student and corpse.  And hats become your friend.  Now I would like to note that I had showered in the last week and a half, and no I will not say how many times, but the washing of the hair just did not happen.  Until today.  My hair was a commercial break away from forming its own dreadlocks and as my hair dresser in Charleston used to say, "White people should never, ever have dreadlocks."  She also was the first to inform me that when using any styling products to put it in your hand and then start at the bottom of your hair and not at the front or else you will have a huge ick spot front and center and will end up looking like me six hours ago.  She is vair wise.  I have those big pump shampoo and conditioner bottles and usually use about four or five pumps for my hair as it is on the long-ish side.  This time I decided to go for seven.  Turns out I needed nine.  My hair felt like Pig Pen and kept drinking the shampoo like a college student who just learned how to do keg stands or discovered the yummy-ness of Midori and pineapple.

Other things that slide, and I know it has been said many times, housework.  The only room in the house that the kids are not allowed to go in has dust about 3 feet high.  And it is probably a good idea to NOT turn on the ceiling fan unless you have some sort of breath mask.  And goggles.  Our house is brick so there are lots of spider webs hanging around but Halloween is just around the corner so no rush there.  Also, my many, many projects that are all about 1/6 of the way done but have stayed at that status for an embarrassingly long time.  There are others but I need to keep some stuff off the record.

2 comments:

  1. I hope your room of collections is clean before my next visit....which could be a while, but nonetheless, ditch the dust woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an instance where hair as short as mine would come in handy for someone in your situation. I, um.. erm... I wash my hair twice a day. Is that wrong? Probably would be if I didn't also cut it every 3 weeks. And considering that I dump a vat of color on it every week to bleach it, the cutting is most definitely needed. But I say do what you gotta do. And don't do what you simply can't do. And God bless hats!

    ReplyDelete