Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Day 11 and 12 - Part 2 Close Encounters of the Are-You-Kidding-Me? Kind

So I went out to lunch with a buddy today.  The restaurant had a 30 minute wait and we were on our lunch break so a table was not going to happen.  However, if we could find two seats at the bar, it was first come first serve, full menu, etc, etc.  The bar was at about 98% capacity and there were two empty seats as noted in the following pitiful diagram:

XX_XX_XXXXXX

Follow?  Good.  So in my most docile and polite voice I asked the girl and the guy if they would mind moving over one so we can sit because we do not have time to wait for a table because we are on our lunch break.  I would like to note that these people did not have food at that time.  Only beverages and empty plates and silverware.  The look I got from the girl . . . what's the best way to describe it?. . . . . . it was almost as if I held a container of rancid meat under her nose while asking her to not only shift her snotty ass 16 inches to the right but to order my food, pay for it, bring the car around and do my taxes.  I think that about sums it up although I am pretty sure there was an eye roll in there as well.  Despite her oh-so-unpleasant facial expression I kindly said "thank you" as she reluctantly extracted all 400 tons of attitude and entitlement out of the bar stool and I said "thank you" again as I sat triumphantly yet humbly next to her (I was not about to make my friend sit next to the bad juju that girl was putting out in the world - I have kids so I can handle anything, that girl's bad juju was nothing to me.)  But really.  I don't know why I am surprised that there are people out there that are so . . well, like that.  I ran the encounter by a couple of people just to verify that I was not asking too much.  People have asked me to move over to the one-chair-cushion that I leave in movie theaters so that they can sit with their friends and I happily oblige - even if I have already taken my shoes off and have my snacks all set up.  I understand these things.  I just assume that grumpy girl is generally an unhappy person.  I would say that maybe she has bad stuff going on in her life and my simple request was the straw to get her to that bad expression but after slightly eavesdropping (can one slightly eavesdrop? or is that like being "kind of pregnant?") I determined she is just unpleasant in general.  I sort of feel bad for her life and the lives of those she encounters on a regular basis but then I eat Nutella ice cream and forget about her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment