Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 5 - Part 1 of Book Reviews

There are a lot of things that went on this week that I could write about.  Big things like the madness in Colorado and a high school classmate that lost his 8 year old.  Or little things like the drama surrounding a children's clothing line and the roof that collapsed on my favorite mall in town.  However, I am tired of thinking about all of the sad things that happened this week and will write up a few reviews on the books I have read:

1.  Best Friends Occasional Enemies by Lisa Scottoline - I actually do not remember too much about this book other than it was an entertaining easy read.  

2.  I'm Not the Biggest Bitch in This Relationship by Wade Rouse, et al - A very funny book about dogs.  There were laughs, there were tears.  

3.  11/22/63 by Stephen King (my first Stephen King because I am a fraidy cat) - I really, really liked this book.  So much so that I bought it for others as a gift.  It got a little weird at the end but after finishing it realized that it was necessary.  I would like to read other Stephen King books but may not be able to sleep if I do so.  

4.  A False Mirror by Charles Todd - This is part of the Inspector Rutledge series.  I would like to thank my friend Christine for getting me hooked on these.  They are nice "cozy" English mysteries set after WWI.  Makes me want to curl up under a blanket and drink cocoa.  

5.  Third Grave Ahead by Darynda Jones - The third and latest in the series.  Funny and sort of reminiscent of a cross between Janet Evanovich and Charlene Harris' Sookie series.  

6.  Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.  I know I should say something about this book (ok, it was sort of funny but I do not think I was in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate it) but I just want to say how much I loved her trilogy that started with "A Great and Terrible Beauty."  

7.  Tale of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling - I had to see what it was all about.  

8.  England England by Julian Barnes - Not my sort of thing.

9.  A Pale Horse by Charles Todd - see #4

10.  A Matter of Justice by Charles Todd - see #4

11.  The Red Door by Charles Todd - see #4

12.  Expats by Chris Pavone - better than I thought it would be.  I really wish I could remember more about it but I would recommend it.

13.  The Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz.  Lisa Lutz could write a form mortgage and I would happily read it.  Probably twice.  I actually will re-read this series.  Great characters and Dr. Who references.  


So now I will catch up on my glorious USA summer shows and have some ice cream and try not to think about Colorado and deadly amoebas in freshwater that can swim up an 8 year-old's nose and kill him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment