Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 1 (again) Scenes from a Hamburger Joint

I am starting over again.  I know that blogging everyday for 40 days is a lofty goal but I really, really want to do it.  

Today was "Meet the Teachers" day at the boy's preschool.  It went well (after the first 2 minutes) and he enjoyed playing with a new kid, a couple of kids from his class last year and his sister.  Then he wanted to show us the gym and science centers.  He was very excited to see his new and old science teachers and that was just adorable.  

After that we decided to go eat lunch out with the kids!  That sentence really does deserve the exclamation point at the end because we rarely (no future pun intended) go out to eat as a family unit.  We decided to go to a local burger joint.  Now this particular burger place has been very good to us in the past - not so much today.  The server was trying to push beers on me and the hubs which was a little weird but whatever.  The hubs ordered the burger medium and after hearing the degree of doneness for a medium burger, ordered mine medium well.

His burger was great, in fact looking at the picture below I would say his "medium" was more "medium to medium well."  My medium well turned out like the medium rare pictured below.  


So I tells the server "Um, I think this is not medium well."  I do this in a voice that suggests I really, really do not like to return food but after consulting the hubs, we agreed that it was medium rare.  The server was then all "Um let me get a manager" in a tone that suggested I was a huge pain in the ass and that I clearly could not medium well from a barn.  After the manager brought it back (with an apology which, while nice, was not terribly necessary because I did not make a big deal out of it, just wanted it thrown back on the grill for about 2 minutes) it was . . . . not so much well done as  . . . well, let's just say that Mount Vesuvius cooked Pompeii less that this burger.  

At this point I was hungry and would rather eat a over-cooked burger than an under-cooked one.  

If restaurants are going to offer patrons a choice on how to cook their burgers they should just show them a picture and tell them to point.  One person's description of pink to hot pink may differ from another's - especially if that other is a man, because really, what do they know about pink to hot pink.  


No comments:

Post a Comment