Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 3 - You give and give and give . . .

Today the DJ's of one of my favorite morning shows were talking about the sacrifices parents make for their children, specifically the Olympics and other sports.  While mine are only 2 and just shy of 4, I know that I have made HUGE sacrifices for them.  I was going to say "not as time consuming" or "maybe not as much driving them around" but I have totally done these as well - my kids are not great sleepers so a lot of time has been spent trying to get them to sleep and I have done more than my fair share of driving naps as well.  Anyway, tonight's major sacrifice was not one that many parents get enough credit for, although I am not sure how many parents have actually gone this extra mile for their kids.  If none, then I am the greatest parent in the history of the world. 

As I have mentioned, I have this annoying cough.  Most of the time it is a dry, boring, yet painful cough where I feel like I am dry-heaving.  Fun.  However, a few select times the cough has been, how shall we say . . . with a bit of substance.  I know, Ick.  Big Ick.  Worse if it is happening to you.  

Tonight the boy wanted his daddy to read to him and put him to bed.  Understandable as I am usually the one who puts him to bed.  I like to think it is due to my superior reading of Pooh and his friends (I do a kick ass Eeyore) but for whatever reason he decided to shake it up a bit.  The girl was having none of that nonsense.  Daddy puts her to bed so Daddy must put her to bed tonight too.  The bedtime forecast begins to darken.  There was a bit of the I-am-going-to-dislocate-my-shoulder-so-she-cannot-pick-me-up moves from her and a lot of screaming "I WANT DADDY NOW!!!" but I held strong, scooped her up, offered to dry the tears, get the bogies read the stories and eventually she settled down.  She still wanted Daddy and after each book I got "One more please. . . . I want Daddy."  After three books it was lights out and she snuggled close-ish to me and got comfy.  It was at this point that I had a coughing fit.  Now, this was not your run-of-the-mill coughing.  No sirree.  The depths from which this cough emanated have only been rivaled by James Cameron and his Mariana Trench exposition.  This was one of those coughs that had "substance."  And by "substance" I mean what felt like a pint of phlegm and a bit of my dinner.  Yes, I know it is disgusting but it is crucial so that one can understand how much I love my children.  In a nano-second I decided that it would be best to return the "substance" from whence it came rather than rapidly place my just-got-settled-down child on the floor, run to the bathroom and send said "substance" to the underworld where it belongs.  If I had gone for the latter, I would bet the world's supply of Nutella that it would have taken 15 years for her to go to sleep.  Now I am trying not to puke from the nasty taste and film that has covered the inside of my mouth and also trying not to cough again for fear of The Substance - Part II "It Is Back And Will Not Be Put Down Again!"  Minutes pass and all of a sudden the girl says in her sweet little 2 year old voice "Mommy hold me."  (note - I am still holding her at this point)  My heart melts a bit and I choke out "Mommy has you baby girl" and think "Yes!  She wants me!"  Minutes pass and I can tell she is still awake so I tell her:

Me:  "Mommy loves you Sweetie."
Her:  "I love you too Mommy."  Awwwww. . . . . .
Me:  "Sweet dreams Els."
Her:  "Sweet dreams Mommy."  Awwwww again - she really is the sweetest thing.

My heart is all happy and I am feeling warm and fuz-

Her:  "Mommy?"
Me:  "Yes Sweetie?"
Her:  "I want Daddy."

Denied.



No comments:

Post a Comment