I really, really need to do this right after the kids go to sleep. It is hard coming up with something to write about when all I want to do is take another soothing swig of Delsym and sleep. Today was one of those days when I got home from work and was "ah crap, I have to cook dinner. . . . Ah crap, I have two pounds of hamburger meat thawed that is about 7 hours and 42 minutes away from starring in a really bad reality show where the contestants eat horrible things for $50." So, it was hamburger sandwich night.
Now, I know there are all of these highfalutin' (Wow! I just learned that was one word!) hamburgers out there in the world - just saw an avocado club one the other day. Oh, and if you google "gourmet hamburgers" Red Robin restaurant comes up. Someone needs to sit google down and have a talk about what constitutes a gourmet hamburger. Here's a hint - it ain't Red Robin.
Anyway, I am not entirely sure how I started eating hamburger sandwiches (chopped up ground beef on regular bread). I think it started with my mom making ground beef with peppers and onions. Why? I'm still not sure because I know my sister and I did not eat peppers and onions and it seems like a lot of chopping and dicing and further work picking out said peppers and onions. Think of all the money she could have saved by NOT buying peppers and onions! Probably could have bought that Iphone a little earlier is all I'm sayin'.
My favorite way to eat a hamburger sandwich is with a moderately generous sprinkling of salt and pepper followed by mustard on generic sliced bread. Weird because when I eat a regular hamburger I have to ketchup on it - not so with the hamburger sandwich. Dunno why. Turns out there is a whole loose meat sandwich thing in the Midwest where they claim they invented this item way back in the 1920's. I call shenanigans on that one. I say, any kid who thinks bell peppers and diced onions in meat are an affront to all that is good and pure in the world can "invent" the hamburger sandwich.
I got as laugh at your comment about Red Robin because Marshal Benfield's wife Dana is their national promotions person or something like that. *pauses to Google* According to the interweb, she is the Director of Loyalty and Retention. Clearly you have not fallen under their spell. Since I no longer eat red meat, I've never eaten there at all, but after reading your blogs on various burger adventures, I have the feeling your hamburger sandwich is the winner of all of that.
ReplyDeleteShannon, it has been hard to find a good stable hamburger joint. I still have a couple I will patronize (is that right? To be a patron? Patronize? I don't plan on talking down to them, so I am really not sure), anyway, I still dig my hamburger sandwich and it is cheap and I can make it and eat it in my jammies.
ReplyDelete