Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 5 - Questionable Parenting Methods

When it comes to my kids I try to do my best to protect them from exposure to certain things at a young age.  (Please, please, please do not ask how Cars 2 fits into this scheme as I have no idea.)  When I was but a wee lass, I don't think my parents were terribly concerned about how things would effect us.  Sure, they wanted us to wear shoes outside so we would not step on nails, but stuff in kids books, movies, shows, etc seemed none too bothersome.  These days, parents seem to attempt to shelter their kids a bit more although some can go to the extreme.  For example, some schools do not want teachers to use red pens to correct school work because it seems to cause kids to "feel demoralized."    

Anyway, I like to read books to my kids that I read when I was younger, to wit "The Best Nest" by P.E. Eastman.  There are two bits that I edit while reading to the boy (the girl is not at all interested in this caliber of reading material - she is straight up Blue's Clues and Max and Ruby, thank you very much):  1) when Mrs. Bird claims to hate the nest and 2) when Mr. Bird fears that his betrothed has been consumed by a feline with a panache for an all-you-can-eat dessert buffet.  I do this because I really do not want them to learn the word "hate" because then it will be thrown around with reckless abandon and also I just plain do not want to explain that some cute fuzzy animals will totally devour other totally cute fuzzy animals.  However, should this book ever be read in a class of his somewhere, guess what word he knows by sight:


I may have some 'splainin' to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment