So I finally read a book in less than a week!!! It has been taking me a lot longer to read lately as there are only so many hours between the time the kids go to bed and the time I finally pass out from trying to do too much.
I have read a lot about "Gone Girl" lately but I usually like to start at the beginning of a writer's catalog so I borrowed Gillian Flynn's first two from one of my book buddies.
Her first book, "Sharp Objects," seemed interesting. About 7 pages into it I called my book buddy and was all "Um, what kind of messed up demented *$&@ do you read?" And then she said that the first two were pretty dark and I should probably just skip to "Gone Girl." If the first two books follow the level of darkness that I read in the first 7 pages then these books make black holes look like . . . . well, a big bright light thingy.
If you have not read "Gone Girl" and do not want spoilers, then STOP RIGHT HERE!!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Ok, just giving all one of you a chance to not see anything by accident.
So here is what I thought about who-dunnit.
At first I thought she just ran away. Not sure why and I totally did not skip ahead to find out, but SCORE! I totally got this one!
Then I thought Nick's (the husband) dad did it because he seemed like the shifty elderly type with Alzheimer's and a violent streak.
I never thought the Nick did it. Right again!
The
Nick is a cheating jerk but he did not do it.
Nick totally sucks.
Her neighbor chick is totes cray cray. She could have done it.
Uh oh, the two people at the cabin are totally going to rat her out (p.s. Amy totally did run away). You are going down Amy!!!
Actually they just might kill her randomly then the police find her dead body and the cops / court / judge will fry
Nick.
Now Amy will run away from the cabins and the two cabin people will report her and Amy will kill herself. Then so will Nick. Andie (Nick's young mistress) will be the new Bachelorette. Go (Nick's sister) will open a chain of bars.
Now Amy will kill the two cabin people and feel guilty and kill herself and Nick will go to jail.
The two cabin people totally robbed her. Now Amy will be so depressed with no money and she will off herself and Nick will fry.
Desi will kill Amy for trying to leave him and then kill himself and Nick will go to jail for both of their "murders."
Amy will escape Desi, go running back to Nick and Nick will either really kill her conniving ass or just be all "bitch please."
Amy will escape Desi, will come back to Nick and Andie will kill Amy. Or both Amy and Nick. Andie will not go to jail because no one really cares that these two messed up people are dead.
Desi holds Amy for a long time. Nick goes to jail for "murdering" his wife even though there is no solid proof and no body (obviously.) On the same day Amy escapes Desi or tries to contact Nick, someone kills Nick in jail.
Ok, so Amy goes back home to Nick. The police are questioning her. Maybe she incriminates herself or Desi's house has cameras to proof she is pyscho.
So no cameras in Desi's house.
She is too smart (read "sociopathic") to incriminate herself.
Ok, she will fess up to Nick and the cops or Feds have wired his house.
Damn, that bitch is good. Only confessing while they are both in the bathroom with the shower running and she whispers after checking Nick for a wire. Thoroughly. I'll give her this, she is prepared. Not normal and definitely not someone I would ever want to meet, but prepared.
Oh. So it ends like that. Uh. Well, good luck with that.
So, I give it is 4.5 stars (out of 5) because I did not like the ending at all. But a very good book.

And now I'm to read this? OK, I'll give the first 7 pages a try; after that....
ReplyDelete