Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 6 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookies - Merry Spritz Cookies

No, my internet was not down yesterday. I wish I had a good excuse for not posting but sadly it was because I was obsessed with the Lowe's 90% off Gift-a-Thon and stalked their facebook status. I ended up being able to enter for about 7 items but did not get bupkis. Oh, I forgot I did get thank-you-for-playing-you-can-have-20%-off coupons but there is just a bit of difference between 20% and 90%. Then last night I got to go to a lovely Christmas party. There was Christmas punch, liquored-up eggnog and wine so when I got home, no posting. Laundry, yes. Posting, no. So on to the cookies! I love spritz cookies and these are my favorites. The recipes come from a Nestle Tollhouse cookbook that I am sure I picked up in the check-out aisle of the grocery store one day. I have never been able to find the "Merry Morsels" and I don't put that extra chip in the middle of the cookie.

Merry Spritz Cookies

1 foil-wrapped bar (2 oz) white chocolate baking bar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small saucepan over low heat, melt white chocolate. Set aside.

In large mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar and salt until creamy. Blend in egg and vanilla. Blend in white chocolate. Gradually beat in flour. Place dough in a cookie press fitted with desired tip. Press dough onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 7 to 9 minutes until set. Let stand one minute and remove from sheets to cool.

Your healthy dinner: Pork Tenderloin with Maple Glaze (really healthy if you go easy on the glaze when serving).

Trim pork if desired (and I do.) Rub pork with 2 tsp of sage, salt and pepper. Melt 1 tbsp butter in pan over medium high heat until bubbling and hot. Add pork and cook until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook until pork reaches 150 degrees. Set aside.

While pork is cooking, whisk 5 tbsp maple syrup, 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Once you take the pork out of the pan, add 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to the skillet and bring to a boil scrapping up any browned bits. Reduce heat to medium low. Return pork and juices to pan. Add maple syrup mixture and turn pork in the glaze just until coated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer pork to cutting board. Cut pork into 1/2 inch slices. Stir remaining 1 tbsp maple syrup into glaze and season with salt and pepper. Serve with healthy sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment