Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tastes so good I want S'more!

Yes, I made S'mores Bars. Yes, they are brilliant. Yes, I need to get the rest of the pan out of my house. And yes, I will share the directions for the yummies. It is adapted from the No-Bake S'more Fun Brownie recipie in the Fat Witch Brownie cookbook and I have changed some stuff so I figure I can post it here. Fingers crossed I don't get sued. I highly recommend this cookbook if you like the brownies (or bar cookie things, like lemon bars, etc.) Here is the link: http://http://www.fatwitch.com/FWBcookbook.html (See! I am giving you free marketing Fat Witch!!)

S'more Bars

2 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup mini hershey kisses (in the bag)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
8 tbsp butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Grease brownie pan (8x8 or 7x9). Mix graham cracker crumbs, 1 cup marshmallows, 1/2 cup mini kisses, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chips/chunks.

In a small pot, melt butter over low heat and add the sugar, egg and vanilla stirring constantly. Once the sugar dissolves and it looks all good and mixed up, set aside to cool.

Add butter/sugar mixture to crumb/chip mixture and stir well. The chips and marshmallows should melt a bit. Stir in remaining marshmallows and chips. Press into pan and let cool for 45 minutes. Sooooooo gooooood.

In an effort to further hop everyone up on sugar, I am going to start my own version of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies tomorrow. I have picked my favorite cookies (not including those unbelievable Congo Bars) and a couple that I have not tried but that look fantastic! But so you don't think I live on flour, butter and sugar, I am going to include in each entry a nice healthy recipe for dinner or lunch. It is all about moderation people! Plus if you only eat plain lettuce for three days then of course you can totally annihilate a pan of Congo Bars!!!

On other non-eating related topics, I want to share an observation. Stop reading here if you do not want to read emotional crap.

Are you sure?

Ok. So I was driving down Colony Road and there is a tree on the side of the road that has a memorial set up for a teenager who was killed when the car he was in hit a tree in that area. According to the little information I can find, the car was going 92 miles per hour. This is a residential area one lane in each direction with a median and I am pretty sure the speed limit is 35. So the family of the boy maintain that area and decorate the tree for various holidays. It is now decorated for Christmas. The boy's name was Alex and his parents started a campaign to get people to slow down and have distributed bumper stickers reading "Slow Down for Alex." I have seen these stickers and this memorial for a few years. When I see the bumper stickers I think "you know, people really do need to slow down. This is a good thing." Then a few times I would drive past the decorated tree and think that Alex's spirit (or whatever you believe, if anything) is not at a tree! He would be with his family or friends or something. I know if I was killed in an accident, I wouldn't hang around on the side of the road. And I have wondered how long the family or friends will keep up the tree? It has been about 3 1/2 years now. Isn't that long enough? But then I decided it is good that they keep up the tree. This memorial and other road-side memorials make me think not only of those I have lost, but they also remind me to be thankful for and cherish the family and friends that I still have. So, there you have it. Every time I ride down Colony Road and see that tree, I will be thinking of you. Well, not of you. Well, maybe you. I guess it depends on who is reading this. Drive carefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment